A new Plastic Packaging Tax (PPT) will come into effect in the UK on 1 April 2022. The new levy will apply to all plastic packaging manufactured in, or imported into, the UK that does not contain at least 30% recycled plastic.
The PPT is designed to divert plastic waste away from landfill or incineration.
First Mailing and the PPT
The good news for our customers is that First Mailing already uses plastic film and paper that is fully recyclable. Before the 1 April deadline, we will be moving to new polythene films which meet the 30% requirement of the PPT. And, already, our customers can opt to use a wrap made from potato starch, rather than plastic, which decomposes in the waste or recycling bin.
For those customers who wish to move entirely away from plastic, our paper wrapping service is the ideal solution. This cost-effective alternative delivers professional, quality direct mail results. With the ability to produce up to 9,000 packs an hour, the paper (which has already been recycled or is from a sustainable source) can be recycled by the recipient.
More about the PPT
The PPT is an important levy aimed at helping businesses become carbon neutral. It will have a direct impact on mailers sent in plastic packaging.
While direct marketing specialists can continue using plastic packaging, the customer will ultimately pick up the cost of the tax levy where the packaging does not meet the 30% requirement of the PPT.
However, any environmentally conscious direct marketing specialist, like First Mailing, will work with their customers to deliver alternative, greener, solutions.
Make the change now
There’s no need to wait until 1 April to go green, talk to us about your next wrapped direct mail campaign.
Contact us on 01480 450661 to discuss your needs.
First Mailing services
We have a full range of services that you can choose from:
- Understand your data: successful campaigns are a result of being smart with your data. Need help? We can help source and supply. MORE >
- Make an impact through print: bring your direct mail campaigns to life with a variety of print colours & finishes. MORE >
- Make it personal: improve client engagement and target the right message to the right person. MORE >
- Save time and money: Decrease turnaround time by automating the process of distribution. MORE >
- Wrap it up: eco-friendly paper wrapping and compostable wrapping products are a high-speed solution for packing brochures. MORE >
- Fulfilment that speaks volumes: think outside the box and compile a pack that really talks to your clients. MORE >
- Connect with digital marketing: complement your direct mail campaigns with digital marketing. MORE >
- Postage: benefit from amazing postage discounts to reduce your campaign costs. MORE >